Saturday, November 18, 2023

Horticulture Inquiry - Quercus acutissima

I'm a bit "country" meaning I really enjoy the outdoors and everything that comes with it.  Growing up in Ewing Township I spent most of my time outside playing in "The Hole" a location where the municipalities of Trenton and Ewing gathered soil that would be used to reinforce the banks of the Delaware River during a flood.  At least that is what I was told.

"The Hole" was bordered by a cemetery, a creek and two main arteries.  It was full of wildlife and native vegetation.  I remember eating blackberries, raspberries, crab apples and when things were good wild strawberries even though I was told they would make me sick.

"The Hole" was a meeting place and hangout location for my family, their friends and plenty of others.  In this space I learned to ride motorcycles, throw "dirt bombs" learned what bees liked sandy soil, flew kites and more.

So when the 2 trees outside of our 100+ year old row home in Trenton, New Jersey began to drop an over abundance of seeds/nuts, I perked up.

I put a few videos and some images out to my social media network to learn about these trees.  The trees are behaving as they normally do except this year there is large dropping a "bumper crop" in the street, on parked cars, the sidewalk and me while cleaning them up.  Within a 24 hour period I've picked up over 80lbs. of nuts, caps, leaves and debris from the crushed droppings.

The local family of squirrels are enjoying themselves however I am also worried that someone may try to capitalize on the "Act of God" and file a slip and fall claim.  I would hate to see these trees planted by the City of Trenton removed since they provide needed shade to the street as well as shelter for the native wildlife and quite frankly I think they are beautiful!

I posted videos and images to my Facebook Friends hoping to learn a few things, mainly if this was normal and if these nuts/seeds were edible.  A few minutes later the replies poured in!  I am thankful for the ability to quickly connect with people who have similar interests and much needed knowledge.

In addition to receiving replies from people who own Tree Service Companies, work for Tree Service Companies, Master Gardeners, a few jokes and more, it has been narrowed down to Quercus acutissima.



Thank you for all of the replies, now to see if I can eat these bad boys!

Timothy J. Mellor was first to nail it.  Thanks to the Master Gardeners of Mercer County NJ as well, Mary, Debbie, Dana and Barbara.

















No comments:

Post a Comment