Thursday, October 20, 2016

Community Conversations

Most people would agree that stress levels are high at the moment.  Whether those feelings are brought on by the season, a national election, global news or just everyday life.  Either way STRESS will KILL YOU!

I want to be clear, I am not making a case for or against guns.  However I am making a case for us to have conversations around gun violence, Law Enforcement, and the policies that govern both.

Earlier this year I was taken by emotions around the news of gun violence and made this post on my personal Facebook page.

Jacque Howard
July 8Trenton
I have questions and I know/hope others do as well.
I would like to talk with, cry with, debate with, discuss with my "social media" friends and networks about how we learn from these recent events, look into our past, acknowledge our present and design/implement our future.
My network is a group of multi-generational, multi-cultural, multi-ethnic, multi and non-faith community members and I am thankful that you are in my life, whatever the capacity.
Get in touch if you would like to connect.

As I contemplate my version of "conversations" that will take place in a safe space dealing with hard subjects like racism, sexism, classism, violence, mental health, marijuana and other subjects, I am thankful others feel the need to have these as well and are taking actions!

Angeline Dean and Darren "Freedom" Green hosted an event at Mercer County Community College's Kerney Campus in Downtown Trenton thorough My Eternal Family where the website states:

"It is our desire to educate men, women, and children on the dominating power of who God says they are.  We believe that all individuals are created "Full."  It is therefore the vision of MEF Inc. to provide the necessary training, teachings and skills that will birth maximum potential, cultural competency, and gifting.  Through these trainings, whole individuals will produce whole families and become productive citizens. Genesis 1:26-28"

Approximately 75 people gathered at MCCC's Kerney Campus for the event billed as "Community Conversations."  Author and Educator Dr. James Braxton Peterson led the discussions which included a question and answer segment.

In addition to these efforts, Inspirational Speaker, Life Coach and Self-Help Blogger Ayana Iman will host one of her #AuthenticConvos at the Grounds For Sculpture on November 5, 2016.  

More information is available on the website www.ayanaiman.com

In closing I believe it behooves us to make every effort to build a better community and this starts with conversations!
















No comments:

Post a Comment