Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Rahway NJ







I appreciate the opportunity social media gives me to stay connected with my past.  I recently reconnected with a college classmate and took her up on a visit to Rahway NJ for a tour.

http://cityofrahway.org/

While attending AIPH-The Art Institute of Philadelphia, Angela "Angie" Pryor and I studied Fashion and lived in the International House located at 37th & Chestnut.  The "I-House" like it's name suggests put us in daily contact with people from all over the world.

My visit took place on a warm Wednesday in September and reminded me of my childhood when the weather is cool in the morning, very warm throughout the day and cool again at night.  It's amazes me how the timing of back to school and the change of season happens simultaneously.

The drive north on Rte. 1 to Rahway started with a visit to the studio of Artist Karey Maurice.  "KAMO" cut his teeth in NYC in the 80's and 90's and developed a following as a "Pop Artist" and can be found in Princeton NJ these days.

www.redbaloonstudio.com.

Arriving in Rahway I was met with a very specific marketing plan to showcase the art scene.  Pole signage, murals and more make it clear "Art" is a marketplace in Rahway.  Like many post industrial cities, Rahway is a hub with access for mass transit through a rail station, bus terminal, easy access to US Route #1 and the Garden State Parkway.  While chatting with Angela one of the many things I learned was that NJ Transit offers daily bus service from Rahway into NYC that takes ~30mins and train service to the New Jersey Shore.

http://www.njtransit.com/var/var_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=SummerJSTo









My walking tour began with a stop at the newly renovated Rahway YMCA that was having a "Health Fair" for the seasoned population.








Angie and I headed over to Bianca's Deli for lunch.  I asked a patron what he was having and he suggested I have the Tortas and I am glad I did.  Thinly sliced beef steak with lettuce, tomato, onion, avocado and a dressing similar to mayo with a vinegar taste on a toasted roll that was amazing! Crunchy crust with a light chewy center, the paper wrapper helped to hold everything together and kept the juices from running down my hand.  I'll be back for this!










After lunch we walked several easy blocks throughout the downtown area.  Fellow Community Organizer and Entrepreneur Angela Pryor showed me Rahway from a locals perspective and introduced me to several people including Business Owners, Executive Directors and others who are working to make Rahway be all it can be.

During the tour I observed the diversity in Rahways' downtown area with several businesses owned and operated by African Americans, Latino Hispanics, Asians as well as Irish and Italian immigrants.




















In addition to a Transit Station, Municipal Building and Recreation site in the downtown area, Rahway also has multiple thriving Performance Art spaces as well.  One of which is open 7 days a week during "business hours" with offerings through a Cafe!

http://www.ucpac.org/

http://www.ucpac.org/hamilton-stage




















The City of Rahway has an estimated population of ~30,000 and covers just over 4 sq. miles but it offers so much.  While walking around I gained the feeling of a small city where everyone knows each other and Art in various forms is celebrated.

I am sure efforts like this have many moving parts however, Angela and others who I spoke with were excited about the efforts of Mayor Samson D. Steinman.  Mayor Steinman and I did not connect on this visit but I plan to sit down with him and some Key Leaders of his team to learn of his vision and how I can help.

Thank you Angie for the invite and introduction to Rahway NJ, I look forward to returning and sharing about my experiences!

In the interim I suggest you reach out to Angela "Angie" Pryor and ask for a personal tour of Rahway, she can be found via the following information and consider catching her at the following events.

Usable Art by ABPryor
https://www.facebook.com/byABPryor/?fref=ts

Harvest Festival
9/25/16
Trailside Nature & Science Center
452 New Providence Rd.
Mountainside, NJ 07092

BarronFest 2016
10/1/16
Parker Press Park
400 Rahway Ave
Woodbridge NJ 07095

Trenton Punk Rock Flea Market
10/30/16
675 South Clinton Ave.
Trenton, NJ 08611


No comments:

Post a Comment