Saturday, September 17, 2016

Capital City Farm Trenton NJ September 2016

It is well documented that I grew up in a village in Ewing Township NJ.  There I learned so many valuable life lessons from my parents, 6 siblings, Great Aunt, Maternal Grandparents as well as Aunts, Uncles, Nephews, Nieces and extended family and friends.

One of the lessons I am so proud of is the love of nature and food.  Of course we all appreciate food and recognize it's importance to life.

I remember the garden in my Grandparents backyard.  I looked forward to getting dirty and fell in love with the feeling of the soil under my fingernails, so much so that now I consider that a form of therapy.  A vivid memory is sitting on the back steps with Lula my Grandmother eating "our" cucumbers and tomatoes and walking a few hundred yards into the "hole" with my cousins to pick blackberries that "Grandmom" would use to make "blackberry pie" completely from scratch!

So when I heard that Trenton would have a farm I was stoked!  I recall a invite to a planning meeting conducted by the D & R Greenway Land Trust where we discussed the ongoing negotiations for the purchase of the property and potential site remediations.  I was fascinated to learn of the history of the land located next to the Trenton Police Department and adjacent to TASK - Trenton Area Soup Kitchen and the Rescue Mission, I was on board.

After negotiations and the subsequent finalized purchase, I met with Allegra Lovejoy who would be a key leader in the Capital City Farm, have a listen to our chat.

https://soundcloud.com/trenton365/allegra-lovejoy-dnrgreenway-land-trust

Recently I visited the Capital City Farm, made some new friends and took in the efforts of the various partners to inspire me and others.

Have a listen to my chat with Andrew Blackwell, a locally born and raised young man who is excited about what the Capital City Farm means to his city.

https://soundcloud.com/trenton365/capital-city-farm-trenton-nj 

Going forward expect to hear more from the Capital City Farm and other agriculture projects and initiatives through Trenton 365, in the interim have a look at some recent images.

Capital City Farm images from September 2016
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipNxtnOuaJw6EGGIjxdfrZhg3FVT7I8WystzP8_i












































1 comment:

  1. Jacque, how delightful, in word and image, your own and others'. Capital City Farm seems a miracle to me, in the heart of Trenton; as does the Abbott Marshlands. The environment that so needs healing includes our cities. It is essential to expand natural life in very capital. I relish the enthusiasm of the Farm's neighbors for all that is happening, right next to TASK. Thank you for your enthusiasm, efforts over the years yourself, and your artistic skills in bringing CCF to your readers. Carolyn Foote Edelmann, NJWILDBEAUTY Nature Blog

    ReplyDelete